It's been a rough few weeks, dominated by difficult "family" situation.
- Clio being diagnosed with cancer seems to have cost me about two weeks of my life. As is always the case with me, the tough part was the 5-6 days during which we didn't know what was going on. Now the challenge is to find the best course going forward, for however long that may be.
- But going to use this as an opportunity to get back online.
- Can't really say I care much about the GM IPO today, except to note that Barry again has it right. It's what we should have done to the banks.
- My brother's been having fun in Tokyo. Check out Jon's Tokyo Diary.
- My new Mac has been really showing its colors as I slowly scan and start processing some of my old negatives, to recreate the stuff I once was able to do only in the darkroom with noxious chemicals.
- But it really does suck that Nikon no longer supports their film scanners on current Macs. I understand that some companies cant be bothered to writer drivers for newer operating systems. With consumer products, more often than not it just isn't worth the trouble, but these are professional photo equipment, used by their "best customers," and they've terminated support on the platform used by most professionals? The same professionals who Nikon wants to retain as customers for high-end photo gear of all sorts? Dumb.
The ill-will this obviously generates (just check out the various messageboards discussing the topic) would have been worth the cost of writing a stupid driver. The reason I've stuck with Nikon cameras for so long is that they DO still support my photo equipment roughly back to the beginning of time! If that's no longer the policy, maybe I don't need to be quite so loyal?
- Was really looking forward to finally skiing this weekend, but looks like I'll have to hold off for a bit due to the cat craziness around here. Snow base still not all that great anyway.
- Perseid meteor shower tonight! Hoping some of these clouds go away.